Welcome

It was Winston Churchill who proclaimed that the U.S. and the U.K. are "two nations divided by a common language." After 13 years on this side of the pond, I have come to realize that he was only partly right!


Sunday, September 16, 2007

Clay

OK, so I don’t post anything for weeks and then I post twice in one day. I know, but I was compelled to share this gem.

Last night, Jose and I saw a fantastic new play, premiering here on the West Coast. Clay is a one-man show telling the story of a young man from a troubled home, who discovers hip-hop as an outlet for his discontent. The writing was tight, the staging was fantastic and Matt Sax, the show’s writer and star was incredible. He not only portrayed the title character, Clay, but also the entire cast of the show, including Clay’s manipulative father, disturbed mother, scheming stepmother, and fascinating hip-hop mentor, Sir John.

I’m not ordinarily a great fan of hip-hop, but the play helped me to better understand the roots of true hip-hop and to weed out the trash. Matt Sax is an incredible talent and I’ll be keeping an eye open for more of him.

If you find yourself in Culver City with nothing to do, I can highly recommend an evening at the Kirk Douglas Theatre with Clay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home