Welcome

It was Winston Churchill who proclaimed that the U.S. and the U.K. are "two nations divided by a common language." After 13 years on this side of the pond, I have come to realize that he was only partly right!


Sunday, September 16, 2007

Farewell to Summer

With Labor Day now behind us, and most of the kids back in school, summer is well and truly over. To be honest, I’m glad to see the back of it. As a beach dweller, I’ve been missing certain luxuries that make life bearable--things such as air-conditioning and a personal parking space.

For most of the year, I can live perfectly happily without either of these things, but come the summer, I miss them dearly. When the temperatures soar (as they did over the Labor Day weekend) and the ocean breeze drops, life without air-conditioning is hell. The obvious solution is to hop in the car and head somewhere cool, like the movies, but that means giving up my valuable parking space. I’m not opposed to a little exercise, but having to walk four blocks with my groceries when what I really want to do is flop on the couch with a Popsicle, is no fun.

But today, normal life resumed and everything was beautiful. The sun shone and a cool refreshing breeze swept off the ocean and through my open windows. My plants seem to be once again flourishing, rather than cowering from the blazing sun, and my cat resumed her spot in the sunny window, rather than flopping, panting in the middle of the living room floor.

But the surest sign of the passing of summer is my desire to once again venture out on my bike. Without having to dodge wandering tourists or drunks on beach cruisers, a long leisurely ride up the bike path to lunch is bliss. It’s now cool enough to sit outside without frying, the path is relatively clear and I am able once again to relax, enjoy the ride and remember why it is I chose Southern California for my home. I don’t know about you, but I’m even looking forward to some rain.

Now that summer’s over, what are you looking forward to most?

2 Comments:

Blogger antonia said...

i'm looking forward to next summer after the one in berlin this year pretty much lasted from march to may...

4:42 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ah yes. I made the mistake of choosing August for a hiking trip in England, thinking that the summer would be a lovely time to go. Ha! Needless to say, my sunscreen didn't see the light of day.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home